Hosting: need a discount code for web-hosting? Simply use the coupon code "FREE30DOLLARS" at Dreamhost for a $30 savings on hosting setup - all that is needed for a beginning LAMP solution or a website, gallery, blog, etc.
The following resources may help with the evaluatation of a site:
- How to remove the "This site may harm your computer".
- How to prevent your site from getting hacked. How to repair a damaged site.
- Website Scanners:
- Web-sniffer.net - handy for http headers, and a buncha other stuff.
- Hurricane electric's awesome suite of bgp internet tools.
- java-based network analyzer - gives all sorts of useful info
All too often one is forced to see how web pages render in that awful IE product, especially the dreaded IE6. To see how a page loads in that monstrosity you can use netrenderer to render the page virtually, and give you a snapshot - is nice! in all flavors of IE, and more.
Easyphp is a great app for windows users - To setup easyphp to use short tags, edit php.ini:
short_open_tag = On
When plugins fail to install and or upgrade, it's likely one (or more) of the following issues:
the host does not have .php5 handler in the default .htaccess file, solved by adding:
AddType x-mapp-php5 .php
AddHandler x-mapp-php5 .php
- No write permissions on the wp-content folder (chmod 755 wp-content)
- A folder named "upgrade" in the default folder, which trips up subsequent update/upgrade attempts (rmdir upgrade)
- Permalinks and/or slugs not updating for ya? It's likely a recycling / trash issue - look in the trash for other items using same terms for the conflict.
Recommended Wordpress plugins:
- All in one SEO Pack
- Bulletproof Security
- Page Tagger
- TinyMCE Advanced
- Theme my login
- Google Analytics, Google XML Sitemaps
- Eli's related posts and footer links & widget
- Tweet, Like, Google +1, and Share
- Wordpress File Monitor
Apache memory_limit tips:
- in .htaccess, you can set/edit this value: php_value memory_limit 16M
- it also may be set in a php.ini file
wp-includes/wp-constants.php has entries for
define( 'WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M' );
- pro-tips: Increase the PHP Memory Limit on a Virtual Private Server (VPS)
If you have any suggestions, please feel free to leave a comment on this page - it's always nice to get turned onto a useful plugin.
When moving the site, or changing the installs, the store's url will sometimes need to be changed. I never found a UI to make these changes - perhaps it's there and i just could never locate it? no matter, cuz all ya need to do is edit 2 files:
and make the necessary changes to the strings contained therein.
PHP / HTML tricks:
to get the current year, say in a footer, use
<? echo date("Y"); ?>